Advanced Coil recommends flat plate fin heat exchangers over finned tube exchangers for several reasons including durability, performance, and higher heat transfer. Plate fin heat exchangers are a type of heat exchanger that uses plates and finned chambers for heat transfer between fluids. These flat plate fins are used for a variety of industries, especially the aerospace industry for its lightweight and compact properties. We recommend constructing plate and fin heat exchangers in aluminum because of its hardness properties.
Plate Fin Heat Exchanger Advantages
The primary advantages of the plate and fin heat exchanger design include:
- An increase of British Thermal Units (BTU), which results in higher heat transfer rates
- Fewer edges and ‘shadow’ areas to trap debris, which minimizes coil fouling and results in an easier cleanup
- Lower air turbulence and less fouling results in a lower air-side pressure drop, which is an important advantage for industries like Pulp & Paper, Food Processing, and Oil & Gas
- Plate style fins have up to 40% more secondary fin surface area
- More capacity than an equivalently configured coil
Aluminum Flat Plate Fin Materials
Advanced Coil designs and manufactures flat plate fin heat exchangers with half-hard temper aluminum (0.016”, 0.025”, 0.032″ or 0.040″ thick) because of the thermal performance and the hardness properties of these materials are able to withstand 3,000 psi pressure washing, foot traffic, and general mishandling that would typically damage most radial or plate fin coils.
Flat Plate Heat Exchanger Applications
Advanced Coil manufactures flat plate heat exchangers for a variety of applications including:
Advanced Coil Warranty 148.1 KiBDOWNLOAD
or call us today at 507.451.0130